Wednesday, July 09, 2008

New Life

I previously posted a picture of a nest with eggs in it outside one of our windows. Sadly, that nest still looks the same. The eggs are still there and will be until the nest is somehow removed.

However, two windows down, we discovered another nest of mourning doves with two eggs. Over a few weeks we watched the parent birds trade out sitting on the eggs. Those eggs were rarely exposed. While we were visiting my parents at the beginning of June, the eggs hatched. Over the next couple of weeks, I was amazed at how quickly the birds grew. I was even more amazed at the patience of the mother bird. Good grief. She sat on those babies and kept them warm. As they grew, she continued to protect them and keep them warm. As they got bigger, she could no longer sit, so she stood over them with her wings over them.

Before we left for our vacation, I took a picture of them because I was positive that they would be gone when we returned.

The mother bird is on the right in this picture and was starting to lose her patience. Time for those babes to learn to fly.

No comments: