Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Better Left to the Professionals

Way back in the summer of 2005, I sent an email around to several friends asking them to contribute a square of fabric to make a quilt for the baby. The quilt is called a "100 Good Wishes Quilt." There is a Chinese tradition to welcome a new baby where a quilt was made out of the clothes of friends and family to wrap the baby in good wishes.

I received a few pieces, then joined a quilt square exchange on one of the adoption yahoo groups I belong to. Allen's mom brought a treasure trove of pieces of clothing from several relatives on Allen's side of the family. Add to that several quilt squares that my mom had that were fabric from clothes that she'd made me in childhood, and getting 100 squares was no problem.

Summer 2006 arrived and my mother and I finally got together and sewed together the quilt topper. Now, it's March 2007. The quilt topper is in danger of being a wedding present to our newly referred daughter. Last weekend, a friend of mine told me about a local store where I could take the topper and they would magically turn it into a quilt. A friend's mom, well also a friend, had offered to sit down with me and help me turn this topper into a full-fledged quilt. While I'd still love to sit down with her and learn to quilt, I just didn't see it happening anytime soon.

So, I left the topper in the hands of an able professional, picked out fabric for the back and will go back in about a month to get it. A month may seem like a while, but really, I still have a blanket I started crocheting for P WHEN I WAS PREGNANT WITH HER IN 2000 that I haven't finished yet. A month is nothing.

In other news, our agency sent our acceptance to China today. Now another countdown begins - waiting for travel approval.

Also, go check out this blog. These people are in China now getting their precious girl.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How in the world did they get there so fast with a February referral? How exciting - her Blog makes me cry... so sweet -

Colleen said...

That is such exciting news!!! I cannot wait to hear more about the travel dates.

Unknown said...

C,

I so love that you have admitted what I have come to believe... somethings are best left to the pros... like these quilts! lol Right now I will settle for actually getting the top sewn together so you are ahead of me!

Alyson